The rule of thirds is a great aspect of web design that you need to take a careful look into when preparing a website. This refers to how items are to be aligned.
The rule of thirds relates to how people are going to focus on particular items on a screen. This helps to review what one’s attention will be drawn to above all other things on that page. This comes from how a series of segments will be found on the screen.
This is a concept that has been used by traditional artists for years. It is based heavily on how the mind processes information. It focuses on how a person will look at certain sections of an object and focus on those sections above all others with a particular pecking order being used for what will be the key point to look at on a design.
This can be used with a simple series of steps:
- Draw two vertical lines spaced evenly to create three columns of the same size on a screen.
- Draw two horizontal lines that are also spaced evenly to create three even rows.
- This will create a 3×3 diagram with every box being of the same size.
- Look at whatever image or layout you want to use with the 3×3 diagram in mind.
- Take a look at whatever box you might look at. That is, it is a box that has something that draws more attention than anything else.
- As you use this, you will get a clear idea of what people are more likely to look at on your site.
You should think about the rule of thirds based on this particular setup:
- People are more likely to look at the top left corner box first.
- The upper right and lower left boxes will come next.
- The lower right box is typically the last one that people will look at.
The human brain is naturally inclined to take a closer look at particular things on a screen above all else. A person will be more likely to look at the items on the corner versus the other things on the screen. This is often challenging to work with but it can make a difference if prepared right.
With this in mind, you need to think about how your content is going to be organized on different parts of your site. Working with the best possible content on different sections can make a real difference when aiming to make your site look unique and appealing. More importantly, it helps you understand where you are going to put particular bits of content on your site to where the content will look visible in some way.
As you get a great web design plan up and running, you must consider how the rule of thirds will work. When used properly, the rule of thirds will make a huge difference. It makes it easier for your site to look visible without being harder to follow.